Are you enthusiastic and curious about sanctions compliance? Are you investigative and solution-oriented with a strong sense for details? Then you may be exactly what we are looking for.
NORDEN is looking for a Sanctions Risk Analyst to join the Risk Management team. The Risk management team consists of 14 internationally diverse people situated in Copenhagen, with a wide range of backgrounds covering finance, physics, shipping, mathematics, and compliance. We are a relatively young team which prioritizes social activities and an equitable working environment characterized by humor, interaction, and social team events. Our daily responsibility is to identify, measure, and monitor market risk, credit risk, liquidity risk, and sanctions risk and we also manage the overall bunker market risk.
Complying with sanctions regulations in the complex world of shipping requires a multifaceted approach, which is underscored by the current geopolitical conflicts regarding Russia/Ukraine and Iran. Here, strong knowledge of the different sanctions regulations, and the ability to use this to make case-by-case review of the vessels we deal with plays an indispensable role in mitigating both direct and indirect sanction risks.
“NORDEN has no tolerance for sanctions risk, thus at times it can be like balancing on a knife’s edge reviewing different sanctions regimes in order to identify areas of opportunities where NORDEN will not be in breach of sanctions, but still be able to offer business to our customers and thus creating additional value for the trading floors”, says Flemming Dahl Jensen, Sanctions Compliance and Security Officer
This responsibility lies under the dedicated sanctions risk team under Risk Management, currently comprised of 3 people that combine their shipping understanding and sanctions regulations insight with market leading screening tools to ensure a culture of sanctions compliance throughout our organization.
Your focus will be managing sanctions risk, where primary responsibilities include staying updated in the field of sanctions regulations and geopolitical trends. Further, you will conduct due diligence of our cargo clients and tonnage providers, but also the specific vessels themselves including behavioral patterns, using sanctions screening and maritime intelligence tools to mitigate sanctions, reputational, and operational risks.
Main tasks will include:
- Understand how sanctions and geopolitical trends impact shipping
- Provide advice and guidance to key stakeholders and the trading floors – regionally and globally, on new sanctions regulations and their possible impact on business
- Actively engage and support trading floors in reviewing candidate vessels for time charter and candidate vessels for ship-to-ship transfer, and advise on risks and mitigation
- Monitor and investigate historical dark activity patterns and be notified of high-risk points of call or suspicious behavior indicating potentially illicit activity
- Perform sanction screening of cargo clients and the commodities carried to advise on risks and mitigation, and whether the commodity is restricted or permitted
- Understand how sanctions impact vessel fleets, with a full picture of shipping organizations
- Manage, monitor, and comply with country specific approval processes for dealing with highly sanctioned countries and other sanctioned countries
- Provide advice and guidance to other teams and key stakeholders – regionally and globally, on new sanctions regulations and their possible impact on business
- Drafting internal policies and procedures, material for training and meetings, and arranging and conducting sanctions compliance training for relevant staff
- Liaise with Business Units, P&I Clubs, Industry Organizations, and authorities
We are looking for a new colleague who has a disciplined and structured approach. You have a high level of personal integrity and always search for the best solution with respect to all known aspects of the case. Others will describe you as having a curious personality and an investigative mindset, and for this role cross-team cooperation and interaction will be required. You are interested in the global geopolitical situation, but do not need to be an expert on this nor shipping as you will undergo substantial on-the-job training.
If you are a fresh graduate or have a few years of experience from a shipping/compliance background - and you carry a curiosity for Sanctions Compliance - this role is the perfect match for you.
If you are completing your studies next summer, we are open to hire you as a student assistant now and then you will be hired fulltime after having handed in /defended your thesis.
NORDEN is a leading shipping company within dry cargo and product tankers and an integrated part of the global commodity trade. With 12 offices across 6 continents, we combine global expertise and local insights to deliver reliable, safe and efficient solutions to our customers all over the world, enabling smarter global trade.
Operating at the heart of global trade, we are committed to decarbonizing the global supply chain, becoming industry leaders in diversity, equality, and inclusion, and taking a firm stance on all forms of corruption.
Please upload your application, resume and relevant diplomas via our website as soon as possible and no later than 30 November 2022. We review applications and interview candidates on a continuous basis.
NORDEN values diversity in thought, educational background, and professional competencies and therefore encourage all qualified individuals to apply for the position.
Were you missing anything in this job ad? Please share your feedback with us here.
If you have any questions, please contact Flemming Dahl Jensen, Sanctions Compliance and Security Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.